Cinder-Livvy

Cinder-Livvy

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Less Drama from the Mama

Oh what a difference a few hours of sleep can make.  This morning I was on the border of despair thinking that my baby had been posessed by a Linda Blair sort.  Around 6:30am Olivia finally passed out from exhaustion and my mom came to my rescue shortly thereafter which gave me some time to get in a couple of hours of sleep to save my sanity. 

Morning rounds came and went; the doctors decided to restart her feedings upping them to 50cc every 3 hours and it couldn't have come any faster for my poor starving baby.  I think it's part of the reason she slept so nicely all morning.  Later Olivia had OT and we were given some exercises to improve the strength in her neck since her head is still pretty floppy from being in a crib for virtually the first two and a half weeks of her life.  Speech therapy also came to visit and evaluate the munch to see how well she could take a bottle.  On her first try she took around 35cc in 10 minutes which I'm told is pretty impressive. 

Everything with Olivia is slow and steady.  She was on room air up until tonight and if she continues to maintain her saturations at an acceptable level then the pesky cannula will be out tomorrow.  Feeds tonight will all be given via the pump but I may be able to give her a bottle feeding in the morning.  It would seem that most of the rest of the work to getting Olivia discharged relies on Brian and I learning how to do certain things like adminstering meds, placing an NG tube successfully and other miscellaneous things that pertain to daily monitoring of her vitals.

Overall today was a much better day than last night but I'm going to reserve my excitement as I don't know what tonight will bring.  I do know that it can't get much worse so we really only have better nights to look towards.  That brings certainly brings some comfort.  It's a good sign in my mind that she's at least sleeping comfortably right now and by this time yesterday she had already turned to the dark side.  Knock on wood of course... 

2 comments:

  1. I skimmed through originally, and thought you were referring to me when you said she was possessed. Thankfully I reread and realized you were referencing the exorcist. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have those nurses page the doctors whenever if you have questions or are nervous about something. while they may send a lackey your message will get across that you want something done. general floor SO MUCH different.

    ReplyDelete