Cinder-Livvy

Cinder-Livvy

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Two Weeks Have Come and Gone

Well two weeks ago tonight we checked in for my planned induction.  Since then it's been nothing short of eventful.  Olivia made her appearance at long last, a little worse for wear - but here nevertheless.  She's had her Norwood and did really well, and then this week she had her chest closed and it didn't go as stellar.  But most importantly, she's rallying once more in a forward motion. 

I cannot believe that I have not been home in two weeks, the time is really flying by yet the prospect of being here for more weeks on end has me a bit down.  Every day I ask how she's doing and what sort of changes we're going to make for the day and usually about 75% of the goals are met on a daily basis.  Today ended without her getting real food, which was disappointing but it's on the agenda for tomorrow as well as pulling another chest tube that hasn't been needed for drainage in a few days.  My impatience for progress is starting to get the best of me, but above all else, I just want her to continue to remain stable and if we need to move at a slower pace then I'm just going to have to cool my jets. 

I'm hoping that getting to hold her and actually interact on a more daily basis will be enough to quench me for a while.  To be coming up on her two week birthday and say that I've only held her for a total of 40 minutes in her entire life seems pretty cruel to me.  She needs to be held and I want to hold her.  This could be the beginning of an issue in the future where I have a problem putting her down.  Oh well, if that's the worst thing I do to her as her mother; I'm sure we'll be just fine. 

4 comments:

  1. Keep on keeping on!

    p.s. where should we have lunch today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first stay is the longest and tests your patience, but when she comes home it is magnificent! Hope was in for 6 weeks after she was born (her story is different than most, so don't count on that long...she didn't have her Norwood until she was 16 days). You will be holding Olivia and playing with her in no time at all! Still keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear of the good news! Keep being strong. You guys are in my thoughts. Can't wait to see pictures of your precious Livy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, hang in there! I know exactly how you're feeling and how incredibly difficult it is not to be able to hold your precious baby! Chase was only there for 4 weeks after his Norwood, and we would've been discharged about 4-5 days sooner if he hadn't had an issue with some "scar tissue" in his throat from the breathing tube (he had 2 bronchoscopy procedures, one of which caused a substantial setback). Really, the world you're in right now feels like it will NEVER end, but I promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel! You'll be home with your precious Olivia before you know it! Just let the doctors and nurses do what they're doing -- it's for her best interest and is working in her favor to get her healthy enough to go home where she belongs!

    Sending prayers your way!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete